Stop attacking US troops: Iraq cleric to followers
Baghdad: An anti-American cleric in Iraq is calling on his followers to cease attacks on US troops leaving the country so that the withdrawal isn`t slowed down.
Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has been demanding that all American forces leave Iraq by the end of the year as planned, or potentially face widespread violence.
Al-Sadr says in a statement posted on his website late Saturday that he has ordered his militias to let the Americans leave peacefully.
He says his ceasefire order was spurred by last week`s notice by US officials in Baghdad that the withdrawal has begun.
Al-Sadr also warns he will step up attacks against US forces if any stay past the end of the year, a move that American and Iraqi officials are now considering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH