Stop attacking US troops: Iraq cleric to followers
Baghdad: An anti-American cleric in Iraq is calling on his followers to cease attacks on US troops leaving the country so that the withdrawal isn`t slowed down.
Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has been demanding that all American forces leave Iraq by the end of the year as planned, or potentially face widespread violence.
Al-Sadr says in a statement posted on his website late Saturday that he has ordered his militias to let the Americans leave peacefully.
He says his ceasefire order was spurred by last week`s notice by US officials in Baghdad that the withdrawal has begun.
Al-Sadr also warns he will step up attacks against US forces if any stay past the end of the year, a move that American and Iraqi officials are now considering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory