Stop damaging American partners, Putin tells Snowden
Washington: Russian President Vladimir Putin has reportedly said that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden must stop damaging American partners with his leaks if he wants the Russian authorities to consider his asylum claim.
Snowden had been in hiding in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks shortly after revealing highly classified data about the US led ` snooping programme `. He later fled to Moscow in a bid to claim asylum in Ecuador.
However, the US authorities revoked his passport and he is currently stuck up at Moscow`s Sheremetyevo airport`s transit area and has request for the Russian authorities to grant him asylum.
According to CBS News, Putin said that Snowden has no plans to stop his revelations about US programmes but he added that Russia is not aiming to send him back to US despite US` repeated attempts at pressurizing the authorities.
Putin insisted that Snowden is not a Russian agent and Russian security agencies have not contacted him either but has declared him a `free man` and has welcomed any nation which wants to grant him asylum.
He has put but this one condition to Snowden`s asylum claim that he must stop his activities aimed at damaging the American partners in light of various allies to US growing impatient about the revelations of US snooping on them including Germany, Italy and France, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference