Stop deadly actions against citizens: US to Syria
Washington: Renewing its charges that
President Bashar al Assad has lost legitimacy, the US has
asked the Syrian government to immediately halt its "deadly
actions" against protesters and release the detainees.
"We urge President Assad`s government to immediately
halt its deadly actions against peaceful protesters, to
release the detainees, and to respect and act upon the clear
demands of the Syrian people for a peaceful and democratic
transition to democracy," State Department spokesperson
Victoria Nuland said.
"This transition would be a positive step for Syria,
the region, and the world," she said, adding the US condemns
the violence in Syria, particularly the brutality practiced by
the Syrian government against its own citizens, peaceful
protesters and bystanders alike.
"The behavior of Syria`s security forces, including
other such barbaric shootings, wide scale arrests of young men
and boys, brutal torture, and other abuses of basic human
rights, is reprehensible," Nuland said in a statement.
"President Assad must understand that he is not
indispensible and we believe he is the cause of Syria`s
instability not the key to its stability. The regime should
make no mistake that the world is watching and those
responsible will be held accountable for their crimes," she
said, adding the violence will not suppress the legitimate
demands of the Syrian people to exercise their rights and
shape their own country’s future.
"It is another clear sign that President Assad has
lost legitimacy with the Syrian people, because he is
unwilling to lead a democratic transition. The violence
perpetrated against innocent civilians only contributes to
instability, feeds sectarian tensions and increases the Syrian
people`s distrust and anger at their government," Nuland said.
In some cities in Syria, people have been taking to
the streets since March 15 to demand democratic changes amid a
wave of protests across the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed