Stop encroaching our territory: China warns Japan
Beijing: Chinese military on Tuesday asked Japan to "stop activities" around the contested islands in the East China Sea, warning that Beijing has the "capability and determination" to safeguard its territorial sovereignty.
Asserting that the disputed islands, which China calls Diaoyu and Japan refers as Senkakus, are inherent territories, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun told reporters that "what is important now is for Japan to stop activities that undermine China`s territorial sovereignty and take actions to ensure the issue resolved".
"The Chinese government and the armed forces are capable and determined to safeguard the sovereignty of the islands," Yang said while replying to a question about China stepping up patrols in the island waters since last year challenging the Japanese authority over them.
On China`s maritime disputes in the South China Sea with a host of south-east Asian countries, Yang said criticised the emerging military alliances between US and various countries including Vietnam and the Philippines.
Certain efforts made to highlight military agenda to enhance deployment and to strengthen military alliances in the region are not in line with calling of times and not conducive to upholding peace and stability in the region, he said.
Asked whether China would resort to deploy its forces abroad to protect its interests the participation of Chinese military in any campaign overseas would not be for increasing the military presence abroad and even less for seeking hegemony.
He also said China has not set up any military bases abroad so far.
About tensions in the Korean peninsula, he reiterated the earlier stand that China has not deployed any troops at the North Korean border. "Such reports are not true," Yang said.
Reports in foreign media earlier this month alleged that China was bulking up its military presence on the DPRK border amid an escalation in tensions in the region.
China is paying close attention to the development of the current situation on the Korean Peninsula and will remain committed to safeguarding peace and stability in Northeast Asia, Yang said.
China is committed to maintaining peace and stability, advancing the Korean Peninsula`s denuclearisation, and addressing and settling the problem through dialogue, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks