Stories of heroism amid US school shooting tragedy
Washington: As US authorities began piecing together the mass shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut - the state neighbouring New York - that left 27, including 20 children dead, stories of heroism and quick thinking began emerging from the terrible tragedy.
Among them was Sandy Hook Elementary School`s Principal Dawn Hochsprung, who was emerging from a meeting. She apparently saw the gunman and warned several colleagues who were about to step into the hallway behind her - and into the shooter`s direct line of fire.
The last thing one witness cited by local Newtown Bee recalled was her turning back and yelling a warning to lock the door as she apparently confronted the gunman. A few moments later she was shot.
Then there was the school custodian, bleary-eyed and shaking off expressions of thanks and praise, who as shots were ringing out, reportedly ran through the school halls making sure classroom doors were locked from the inside, local media said.
There were the library staffers who heard commotion on the school`s public address system and learned there was a gunman in the building.
After rushing a number of students into a storage closet and barricading it with file cabinets, they initially would not even open the door for police who were standing outside until they were called by emergency operators and convinced it was safe to exit with the children, the Newton Bee reported.
Two cafeteria workers dropped to the ground on hearing shots and crawled into a utility closet and locked themselves in until help arrived. The school nurse, who fought the urge to run toward the commotion to help and took cover under her desk per her training, said she saw the boots of the gunman as he entered her office.
The gunman stood there for a few moments and then moved on down the hallway firing more shots. That`s what saved her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Badshah's Hindi cover of Justin Bieber’s 'Sorry' is out and, dayum, it's addictive!
- Subramanian Swamy wants discussion on Mahatma Gandhi killing in Rajya Sabha
- Mercedes-AMG SLC43 launched in India at Rs 77.5 lakh
- Two attackers 'neutralized', one hostage killed in France church attack
- Criminal stabbed to death in Goa prison