Storm rips off roofs in eastern Japan
Tokyo: An apparent ccccc hit eastern Japan today, tearing off roofs and shattering windows, two days after twisters ripped through other parts of the region.
Television footage showed badly damaged houses in Yaita, north of Tokyo, some with their roofs peeled off.
Local rescuers had not received any reports of injuries about an hour after the winds smashed through the area, a local official said.
"The roof of a school gymnasium was torn off, and the power supply is cut off," he said. "Traffic lights are not working either."
Pictures posted on Twitter and other social networks showed a dark funnel of cloud stretching down to the ground, whipping up debris.
The winds came after tornados wrought havoc in other parts of eastern Japan on Monday, with a large amount of damage in Koshigaya city, northwest of Tokyo.
A total of 63 people were injured and about 110 houses were damaged or destroyed in Koshigaya and surrounding areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30