Storms wreak havoc in Britain, leave two dead
London: At least two persons were killed after
storms, with gusts of up to 100 miles per hour swept across
much of Britain, disrupting road and rail traffic besides
leaving thousands without electricity in England and Scotland.
A man in his 50s died when a tree fell on his van in the
extreme weather in Tunbridge Wells yesterday, Kent Police
The second casualty was a crewman who died after being
injured on board a tanker in the English Channel. Two others
were rescued from the vessel and taken to hospital, police
Across the UK yesterday, trees collapsed on railway tracks
and power lines, vehicles overturned on busy roads and severe
weather warnings were issued, officials said.
In Surrey, a large oak tree fell on a bus, causing serious
injury to the driver, police said, adding the Kingston Bridge
in Glasgow has been blocked by two overturned vehicles.
The Scottish government said about 60,000 people were left
without power after strong winds affected electricity lines,
but the number was likely to fluctuate through the day as the
storm moved towards the east and north and engineers were able
to carry out repairs.
Power cuts were also reported in parts of Dorset.
Southern England and Scotland and almost the whole of
Wales have been given a yellow `be aware` warning by the MeT
It has also issued an amber `be prepared` warning of snow
and wind in parts of northern Scotland and Ireland, just
behind the the most severe red `take action` weather warning.
Officials said teams have been dispatched to clear fallen
trees, stranded vehicles and debris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price