Strauss-Kahn accuser to thank NY supporters
New York: The hotel maid who accused
former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique
Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault plans to personally thank her
New York supporters on Thursday.
Nafissatou Diallo was scheduled to make a public
appearance in Brooklyn, where she`ll be joined by community
and religious leaders at a church cultural centre.
The 32-year-old immigrant from Guinea went public
earlier this week, giving interviews to Newsweek and ABC. It`s
nearly unheard of for an alleged sex assault victim to speak
publicly before the end of court proceedings, and it`s not
clear whether her decision to come forward affected her
somewhat tenuous relationship with the prosecutors
investigating her case.
Diallo and her attorney met with prosecutors yesterday
for nearly eight hours, the first time since the Manhattan
district attorney`s office publicly announced they had doubts
about her credibility after learning of lies on her asylum
application and taped recordings between Diallo and a friend
in an Arizona immigration jail.
Strauss-Kahn has been charged with attempted rape and
other crimes. The French politician has denied Diallo`s
accusations. His next court date is August 23, and his
attorneys have said they hope the case will be dropped.
Diallo`s attorney Kenneth Thompson said she has been
wrongfully portrayed as a money-grubbing opportunist in
newspaper accounts of her recorded remarks to the incarcerated
The recordings also established that Diallo recounted
the attack to the man during their first conversation, a day
after the alleged attack. Her lawyer said that showed that her
focus was on what had happened to her, not on his wealth or
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister