Strauss-Kahn claims immunity in US civil case
New York: Former IMF chief Dominique
Strauss-Kahn has sought dismissal of a US civil case, claiming immunity from prosecution and saying the hotel maid`s "false" sexual assault claims had hampered his efforts to right the global economy.
Criminal charges were dropped in August when prosecutors lost faith in the credibility of maid Nafissatou Diallo, but
she is pursuing her civil case for undisclosed monetary
damages from the French one-time presidential hopeful.
Strauss-Kahn did not claim immunity in the criminal case
as the alleged assault happened while he was staying in New
York in a personal capacity, but his lawyers appeared to think
this was not a factor in the civil courts.
"As managing director, which is the chief executive
position at the IMF, Mr Strauss-Kahn enjoyed absolute immunity
from civil suit," said a motion filed by his lawyers at a court in the Bronx in New York.
The motion said it made no difference Strauss-Kahn was no
longer head of the IMF when Diallo filed her civil case August
8, saying: "Mr. Strauss-Kahn`s absolute immunity persisted
until he was able to leave the United States."
Strauss-Kahn went on the attack in the filing, accusing
Diallo of imperiling his efforts, at the helm of the International Monetary Fund, to rescue the world economy at a
crucial time after the financial crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31