Strauss-Kahn lawyers clash on medical evidence
New York: Lawyers for Dominique Strauss-Kahn and the maid, who accused the French politician of a brutal sex assault clashed on Wednesday over medical reports that bolster her
The exchange was the latest skirmish ahead of, what could be a crucial court hearing next Tuesday for Strauss-Kahn, who is free on bail.
Attorneys for the maid, Nafissatou Diallo, told a daily newspaper, that the medical report by doctors, who examined her after the alleged incident found injuries consistent with assault and rape.
But William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman, the lawyers for Strauss-Kahn, attacked those assertions, saying the physical condition of Diallo could easily have shown, she had recently
engaged in consensual sex, even before the alleged attack.
The "use of the medical reports to confirm or bolster the charges against Mr. Strauss-Kahn is misleading and deceitful," they said in a statement.
"The medical reports confirm that the complainant did not have any injury caused by a forcible encounter. The physical descriptions of the complainant in the medical reports are not injuries at all, and are a common condition consistent with many possible causes other than a sexual assault, including consensual sexual activity days before the incident."
At next week`s hearing, prosecutors are expected to reveal, whether they will drop charges or press their case against the former head of the International Monetary Fund and highly
touted potential candidate for the French presidency.
The prosecution case has unraveled in recent weeks after the District Attorney`s office said there were problems with Diallo`s credibility, a key factor in a trial, where she will be the main prosecution witness.
“There is certainly a chance that prosecutors will drop the criminal charges against DSK because Diallo has considerable credibility baggage," said attorney and former federal prosecutor Marcellus McRae.
"However, given the enormous resources devoted to this case, the widespread media attention, and the need to preserve the public`s perception of the DA`s office as a diligent and trusted actor, it would also not be surprising to see the prosecutors seek additional time to investigate the matter before making any final decisions," he added.
While doubt wavers over the criminal prosecution, Diallo`s lawyers have filed a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn and are seeking unspecified damages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi