Strauss-Kahn lawyers clash on medical evidence
New York: Lawyers for Dominique Strauss-Kahn and the maid, who accused the French politician of a brutal sex assault clashed on Wednesday over medical reports that bolster her
The exchange was the latest skirmish ahead of, what could be a crucial court hearing next Tuesday for Strauss-Kahn, who is free on bail.
Attorneys for the maid, Nafissatou Diallo, told a daily newspaper, that the medical report by doctors, who examined her after the alleged incident found injuries consistent with assault and rape.
But William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman, the lawyers for Strauss-Kahn, attacked those assertions, saying the physical condition of Diallo could easily have shown, she had recently
engaged in consensual sex, even before the alleged attack.
The "use of the medical reports to confirm or bolster the charges against Mr. Strauss-Kahn is misleading and deceitful," they said in a statement.
"The medical reports confirm that the complainant did not have any injury caused by a forcible encounter. The physical descriptions of the complainant in the medical reports are not injuries at all, and are a common condition consistent with many possible causes other than a sexual assault, including consensual sexual activity days before the incident."
At next week`s hearing, prosecutors are expected to reveal, whether they will drop charges or press their case against the former head of the International Monetary Fund and highly
touted potential candidate for the French presidency.
The prosecution case has unraveled in recent weeks after the District Attorney`s office said there were problems with Diallo`s credibility, a key factor in a trial, where she will be the main prosecution witness.
“There is certainly a chance that prosecutors will drop the criminal charges against DSK because Diallo has considerable credibility baggage," said attorney and former federal prosecutor Marcellus McRae.
"However, given the enormous resources devoted to this case, the widespread media attention, and the need to preserve the public`s perception of the DA`s office as a diligent and trusted actor, it would also not be surprising to see the prosecutors seek additional time to investigate the matter before making any final decisions," he added.
While doubt wavers over the criminal prosecution, Diallo`s lawyers have filed a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn and are seeking unspecified damages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day