Strauss-Kahn maid files civil suit in NY
New York: A hotel maid who accuses ex-International Monetary Fund boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault has sued him over what she calls a "violent and sadistic" attack in an upscale suite that left her life "in shambles."
Lawyers for the maid, Guinean immigrant Nafissatou Diallo, wrote in the lawsuit that Strauss-Kahn "intentionally, brutally and violently sexually assaulted Diallo and in the process humiliated, degraded, violated and robbed Diallo of her dignity as a woman."
The lawyers, Kenneth Thompson and Douglas Wigdor, promised in court papers that if the case goes to trial, they will introduce other instances when Strauss-Kahn sexually
attacked women in hotel rooms and apartments around the world, assaulted employees who were coerced into complying with sexual demands or accosted women with inappropriate sexual remarks and attempts to get them to perform sexual acts.
They said the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages,
was brought "to redress the violent and sadistic attack by
defendant Strauss-Kahn on Nafissatou Diallo when he sexually
assaulted" her on May 14 at the Sofitel hotel in midtown
The lawsuit says Strauss-Kahn injured Diallo`s shoulder,
tore her pantyhose and violently grabbed the back of her head
during the attack.
The lawsuit, filed in state court in the Bronx yesterday,
accuses Strauss-Kahn of acting like a common criminal
afterward, fleeing the hotel so quickly that he left behind
traces of his semen, along with bloody tissues.
"In his haste to flee the scene of a crime, he rushed out
of the hotel with toothpaste smeared on the outside of his
mouth and was looking over his shoulders," the lawsuit says.
The attack has left Diallo physically and psychologically
harmed, with permanent damage done to her professional and
personal reputations along with severe mental anguish and
emotional distress from which she may never fully recover, the
She suffers great emotional distress, humiliation,
depression and physical pain, and the experience has "left
Diallo`s life and her young daughter`s life in shambles," it
Lawyers for Strauss-Kahn said the maid`s lawsuit has no
merit and their client will fight it vigorously.
"We have maintained from the beginning that the
motivation of Thompson and his client was to make money,"
attorneys William W Taylor and Benjamin Brafman said.
"The filing of this lawsuit ends any doubt on that question."
The filing of a civil lawsuit so quickly after an arrest
provides an avenue for lawyers to pursue evidence and
interview witnesses for a potential civil trial while memories
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’