Strauss-Kahn maid sues over `prostitution` claim
New York: The Guinean hotel maid who has accused former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of attempted rape is suing the New York Post for claiming that she was a prostitute.
"Yes, we have filed suit against the New York Post for stating that the victim is a prostitute," her lawyer Kenneth Thompson said in an e-mail.
The Post, citing a source close to the defence`s investigation team, has alleged the maid often traded sex for money with male guests at the Sofitel hotel in Manhattan.
The tabloid daily reported at the weekend that Strauss-Kahn and his accuser had engaged in sex acts in his luxury suite on May 14, and that afterwards there "was an expectation of money after the fact, but he was dismissive”.
The daily also alleged that the woman had played host to a parade of paying male visitors in the weeks after the arrest of the veteran French politician.
While the charges against the 62-year-old Strauss-Kahn still stand, the case has nearly imploded after prosecutors acknowledged their investigations of the accuser found she lied to a grand jury about the case.
In a letter to defence lawyers, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance said the woman had provided a "false" narrative of her life -- including a gang rape which she later admitted never occurred -- as part of her application process for US asylum.
Strauss-Kahn`s defence team has denied the New York Post`s allegations that he engaged in sex for money with the hotel maid.
"There was no dispute between the parties because there was no discussion about money," the team, led by lawyers Benjamin Brafman and William Taylor, said in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata