Strike on Syria could draw US into imminent civil war: Report
Washington: A U.S. strike on Syrian government targets in response to the alleged chemical weapons attack last week has the potential to draw the United States into the country`s civil war, former U.S. officials have said.
The officials warned that history does not bode well for such limited retaliatory interventions.
According to the Washington Post, images of the corpses of civilians, including children, killed in last week`s chemical attack in a Damascus suburb struck a powerful chord in Washington.
The White House is scrambling to gain international support for a days-long bombing campaign targeting military sites, as the U.S. Navy destroyers are stationed in the eastern Mediterranean.
With Congress in recess, the lead-up to a military strike on Syria has unfolded with relatively little substantive debate on Capitol Hill about the risks and merits of a cruise missile strike, the report said.
According to the report, after a few conservative Republicans insisted that the Obama administration needed congressional authorization before ordering a strike, House Speaker John A. Boehner (Ohio) urged the White house to conduct "meaningful consultation with members of Congress" and articulate "clearly defined objectives" before giving the Pentagon the green light.
Republican Scott Rigell, in an interview said, said that a swift military response is justified if the United States faces an imminent threat.
Lawmakers have often been quick to back military interventions begun in response to the type of international outrage sparked by Syria`s alleged use of chemical weapons last week, the first major nerve gas attack in more than 25 years, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM