Strike sees Kerry taking the train to France
Brussels: John Kerry has flown almost half a million miles (kilometres) around the world on his diplomatic travels, but on Wednesday he found himself grounded by an air traffic controller strike and hoofing it to Paris by rail.
The US secretary of state had been planning to leave Brussels late Wednesday on his US Air Force Boeing C-32AKA, a military variant of the 757, after attending a series of NATO meetings.
But instead he and his entourage were heading to the main rail station to catch a train to Paris.
"Due to a potential delay in flights departing Brussels as a result of an air traffic control strike, Secretary Kerry will take the train from Brussels to Paris this evening," his spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
The strike meant all of Kerry`s entourage and a pool of travelling reporters -- about 50 people in all -- were forced to take a TGV out of Brussels for Paris where the top US diplomat has a series of meetings planned on Thursday.
He ended a press conference at the NATO headquarters saying he "had to go" as Psaki added: "Sorry we have to catch a train."
It was the latest stop on a whirlwind tour which has taken him so far to Cairo, Baghdad, Arbil and Brussels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in