Strong 6.9 magnitude quake hits off Solomon Islands
Honiara: A strong 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of the Solomon Islands, but there were no immediate reports of damage and no tsunami warning was issued.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the earthquake hit at 3:16 pm (0416 GMT) on Saturday at a depth of 81 kilometres and centred 171 kilometres southeast of the capital Honiara.
Residents on the mainland said they felt a sharp jolt but emergency services said there was no immediate evidence of damage although reports were still being sought from outlying islands.
The Solomons lie in the "Pacific ring of fire", a highly active earthquake zone, and regularly experiences strong tremors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!