Strong earthquake hits southern Taiwan
Taipei: A strong earthquake has struck southern Taiwan, causing minor property damage in a mountainous area near the coastal city of Pingtung.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
Taiwan`s Central Weather Bureau says the quake struck at 10:35 am (0235 GMT) Sunday, about 19 miles (30 kilometres) from Pingtung. It says the quake had a magnitude of 6.1.
The US Geological Survey put the magnitude at 5.9.
Taiwan television showed pictures of minor damage in the Pingtung area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months