Strong earthquake rattles Greek island
Athens: A strong 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck near the Greek island of Cephalonia in the Ionian Sea early on Monday, the the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.
The quake hit at 5:08am (0308 GMT) with its epicentre just 12 kilometres (7 miles) from the town of Lixourion, 300 kilometres west of Athens, the USGS said.
There were no immediate reports of any damage or casualties. A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck the same region late last month. That quake was felt on several Ionian islands and as far away as the capital Athens.
Greece is one of Europe`s most earthquake-prone countries. Cephalonia has previously been struck on several occasions and in August 1953 virtually every house on the island was destroyed during a major earthquake.
The island was also the setting for the popular novel Captain Corelli`s Mandolin, about a Second World War romance between an Italian soldier and a local woman.
A 2001 movie of the same name, starring Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz, was filmed on the island.
The Mediterranean region as a whole is seismically active due to the convergence of the African and Eurasian tectonic plates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi