Strong earthquake rattles Mexico City
Mexico City: A major 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck Mexico with officials reporting two deaths, as the quake was strongly felt in the capital Mexico City and southern Guerrero state.
The temblor occurred at 0717 IST today about 166 kilometres southwest of Mexico City, at a depth of about 65 kilometres, according to US Geological Survey.
The epicentre was located 133 kilometres north of the large beach resort city of Acapulco, on the country`s Pacific coast.
The death toll included an 11-year-old boy in the town of Iguana and another fatality on a road near Paloblanco, said Arturo Martinez, a spokesman for the government of Chilpancingo in Guerrero state.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning centre said no destructive Pacific-wide tsunami was expected.
USGS originally measured the quake at a stronger 6.7 magnitude, but downgraded it to 6.5 about an hour later.
Mexican President Felipe Calderon issued a comm.ent through his official Twitter account, saying there was "no
major damage reported at the time, however the reports are
"If you are aware of damage, please tell us," he added.
Some areas of the capital, where thousands of pilgrims
were congregating for the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe,
experienced temporary electricity blackouts, and cell phone
networks quickly became saturated.
The quake sent hundreds of people celebrating upcoming
Christmas festivities at the Telephone Workers Union rushing
into the streets, a reporter witnessed.
Much of Mexico lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire, where
most of the world`s earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur.
A historic 8.1-magnitude quake struck off Mexico`s
Pacific coast in 1985, and while it was centred some 350
kilometres from Mexico City, it devastated the capital,
killing at least 10,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray