Strong quake felt in Taiwan, no reports of damage
Taipei: A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.6 shook much of Taiwan on Monday, the Central Weather Bureau said, but there were no immediate reports of damage.
The US Geological Survey reported a quake of magnitude 6.9 near the Philippines, about 190 kilometres southeast of Taiwan. It was not immediately clear if the quakes were the same.
Earthquakes occur frequently in Taiwan, which lies on a seismically active stretch of the Pacific basin.
One of Taiwan`s worst-recorded quakes occurred in September 1999. Measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale, it killed more than 2,400 people and destroyed or damaged 50,000 buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag launches latest 'attack' on Shoaib Akhtar
- V Narayanaswamy to be new chief minister of Puducherry
- PM Modi controlling large chunk of media, alleges Arvind Kejriwal
- Blast at Trinamool victory rally in West Bengal, nine injured
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, Bihar Matric Results 2016: (biharboard.bih.nic.in), BSEB 10th Result 2016 to be declared tomorrow on May 29