Strong quake hits northwest China, followed by 350 aftershocks
Beijing: A strong earthquake with magnitude
of 6.2 struck northwest China on Friday, sending tremors through a
remote mining area along the nation`s Qinghai-Tibetan plateau,
The epicentre of the quake, which struck at 9:52 am (0722
IST), was located 165 kilometres northeast of Golmud city in
Qinghai province, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.
The quake hit at a relatively shallow depth of 10
Nearly 350 aftershocks shook the area in the hours
following the initial quake, with the biggest at a magnitude
of 5.3, the China Earthquake Administration said.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
"We are still awaiting initial damage reports," an
official in the civil affairs office of the Haixi
Mongolian-Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture government told AFP
today on phone.
"We are checking for damage in many places that are in
remote areas where not many people are living. So far, there
have been no reports of fatalities," he said, asking not to be
The railway linking Beijing and Tibet that runs through
Golmud was operating normally and was not expected to suffer
any damage, the China News Service cited a local seismologist
The earthquake zone, which is home to ethnic Mongolians
and Tibetan farmers and herdsmen, is dotted with coal, tin,
lead and copper mines.
The prefecture`s government has dispatched search and
rescue teams to assess damage throughout the sparsely
populated region, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert