Strong quake hits Okinawa, no tsunami alert
Tokyo: A strong 6.8 magnitude earthquake
struck in waters off Okinawa island on Teusday, but there were no
concerns about a tsunami, the US and Japanese agencies said.
The quake occurred in the East China Sea, 218
kilometres (136 miles) west of Naha, Okinawa prefecture, the
US Geological Survey said. The quake`s depth was 222
kilometres (138 miles).
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage
from the quake, which happened at 11:59 am (0259 GMT).
Japan, located at the junction of four tectonic
plates, experiences 20 per cent of the strongest quakes
recorded on Earth each year.
A devastating tsunami on March 11 left about 22,000
people dead or missing and triggered an atomic crisis at the
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in the northeast of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof