Strong quake jolts west Indonesia; 3 killed
Jakarta: A powerful earthquake jolted western
Indonesia on Tuesday morning, killing three people and sending
panicked residents fleeing from homes, hotels and even a
The magnitude-6.6 quake hit about 1 am (2330 IST) Monday,
waking people in towns and villages across Sumatra island`s
It was centered 100 kilometres southwest of the city of
Medan and 110 kilometres beneath the earth`s crust, according
to the US Geological Survey. It was too far inland to generate
Maura Sakti, a mayor in Subulussalam, told local station
TVOne a 12-year-old boy had been killed. At least one other
person was injured.
Boby Sigit, an official at the National Disaster
Management, said later that two people were killed in Aceh --
the boy and a 60-year-old man -- while a 26-year-old mother
died in North Sumatra`s district of Dairi.
Hundreds of people were evacuated to temporary shelters as
authorities surveyed the damage, said Lt Col Helmy Kesuma,
police chief in the hard-hit town of Singkil.
Some electricity poles were knocked down there, crashing
into homes and causing blackouts.
"My wife was screaming, my children crying," said Burhan
Mardiansyah, 37, a Singkil resident. "We saw our walls start
to crack and everything inside the house was falling. Thank
God we`re all safe."
The panic extended to Medan, the sprawling provincial
capital of North Sumatra, where hundreds of patients from at
least one hospital had to be evacuated, some in wheelchairs or
with IVs attached to their arms.
Hotels emptied and residents ran into the streets or the
balconies of their rented homes, clutching babies to their
chests. Fearing aftershocks, many refused to go back inside
Indonesia straddles a series of fault lines that makes the
vast island nation prone to volcanic and seismic activity.
A giant quake off the country on Dec 26, 2004, triggered a
tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, half
of them in Indonesia`s westernmost province of Aceh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference