Strong quake strikes Myanmar, at least 13 killed
Yangon: At least 12 people were reportedly killed on Sunday after a strong earthquake of 6.8 magnitude struck early morning. Several people were injured and loss of properties in the area close to the quake’s epicentre were also reported, as per a BBC report.
According to news reports, the most significant damage appeared to be the collapsing of bridge under construction across the Irrawaddy River in the town of Shwebo, the location of the quake`s epicentre.
The website of Weekly Eleven magazine said five people were killed when the bridge, which was 80 per cent built, collapsed.
"This is the worst earthquake I felt in my entire life," said Soe Soe, a 52-year-old Shwebo resident.
According to Soe Soe, the huge concrete gate of a monastery collapsed and several sculptures from another pagoda were damaged in the town.
Other damage was reported in Mogok, a major gem-mining area just east of the quake`s epicentre. Temples were damaged there, as were some abandoned ruby mines hit by landslides, Sein Win, a resident, said by phone.
A resident in the capital, Naypyitaw, said several window panes of the parliament building had broken.
An official from the Meteorological Department in Naypyitaw said the magnitude-6.8 quake struck at 7:42 am local time. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to release information to the media.
The US Geological Survey reported the quake`s magnitude as 6.6 with a depth of just 10 kilometres.
There were no reports of casualties or major damage in Myanmar`s second-largest city, Mandalay, which is about 117 kilometres south of the epicentre and the region`s only major population centre.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!