Strong quake strikes off Chile: US seismologists
Santiago: A shallow 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off Chile`s northwestern coast on Monday, but it did not trigger a tsunami, said seismologists based in the United States.
The undersea quake had a depth of six kilometers and its epicenter was about 100 kilometers from Iquique, on Chile`s Pacific coast, the US Geological Survey said.
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a tsunami alert.
Quakes are common off Chile`s coast. On March 16 a 6.7-magnitude earthquake jolted the same area, generating a small tsunami and prompting authorities to evacuate three cities.
In February 2010, central and southern Chile were hit by a powerful earthquake of 8.8-magnitude followed by a tsunami that devastated dozens of towns.
The quake left more than 500 dead and USD 30 billion in damage to infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench