Strong quake strikes off Chile: US seismologists
Santiago: A shallow 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off Chile`s northwestern coast on Monday, but it did not trigger a tsunami, said seismologists based in the United States.
The undersea quake had a depth of six kilometers and its epicenter was about 100 kilometers from Iquique, on Chile`s Pacific coast, the US Geological Survey said.
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a tsunami alert.
Quakes are common off Chile`s coast. On March 16 a 6.7-magnitude earthquake jolted the same area, generating a small tsunami and prompting authorities to evacuate three cities.
In February 2010, central and southern Chile were hit by a powerful earthquake of 8.8-magnitude followed by a tsunami that devastated dozens of towns.
The quake left more than 500 dead and USD 30 billion in damage to infrastructure.
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’