Strong quake strikes off Chile: US seismologists
Santiago: A shallow 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off Chile`s northwestern coast on Monday, but it did not trigger a tsunami, said seismologists based in the United States.
The undersea quake had a depth of six kilometers and its epicenter was about 100 kilometers from Iquique, on Chile`s Pacific coast, the US Geological Survey said.
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a tsunami alert.
Quakes are common off Chile`s coast. On March 16 a 6.7-magnitude earthquake jolted the same area, generating a small tsunami and prompting authorities to evacuate three cities.
In February 2010, central and southern Chile were hit by a powerful earthquake of 8.8-magnitude followed by a tsunami that devastated dozens of towns.
The quake left more than 500 dead and USD 30 billion in damage to infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you