Student dead, two missing after Malaysian bridge collapses
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian student was dead and two others were still missing Tuesday after a suspension bridge they were walking on collapsed.
A total of 22 students were thrown into a river in the northern state of Perak late Monday when the bridge snapped. The students were on a camping trip involving 298 students from 60 schools in the state.
Three of the students were found to be missing, and rescuers only discovered the deceased, 11-year-old Dina Feve Nathan, early Tuesday after her body was found two km downstream from the accident site.
Police said search efforts were ongoing for the remaining two students.
The iron-cable bridge had only just been built to replace an older bridge, the Star online news portal said.
State Chief Minister Zambry Abdul Kadir expressed his condolences to the family of the young student, adding that he has ordered an immediate investigation into the cause of the accident, the official Bernama news agency reported.
"The suspension bridge was newly built. We want to know if it was built to specifications as it collapsed after a metal pillar got ripped off the ground," he said.
Survivors told the Star that some of the students walking on the bridge had started jumping in an attempt to scare the others. The bridge snapped shortly afterwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui