Student killed in Islamist demo at Cairo University
Cairo: A student was killed during an Islamist demonstration at Cairo University on Thursday, officials said, as Egyptian authorities continued their crackdown on supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
The dead man was Mohammed Reda Mohammed Abdo, 19, a second-year engineering student, said senior health ministry official Ahmed al-Ansari and forensic authority spokesman Hisham Abdul Hamid.
The circumstances of his death were not immediately known.
Medics also said seven people were wounded.
Witnesses said police used water canon, tear gas and birdshot to disperse protesting students, who were demanding Morsi`s reinstatement.
Morsi supporters have regularly staged protests against the military since it ousted the Islamist leader on July 3 and, in recent months, have increasingly staged demonstrations in universities.
Abdo`s death is the first since interim authorities passed a disputed law requiring that organisers must give a three-day written notice before holding a demonstration.
On Tuesday, police broke up two small protests in Cairo by secular and youth movements to oppose the law, widening the authorities` crackdown which so far has targeted Islamists.
And yesterday, authorities ordered the arrests of two prominent activists who led the revolt against long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
The suppression of mainly secular youths is seen as the opening of a new front by the authorities, which justified Morsi`s ouster by saying it was responding to massive demonstrations against his rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?