Student killed in Islamist demo at Cairo University
Cairo: A student was killed during an Islamist demonstration at Cairo University on Thursday, officials said, as Egyptian authorities continued their crackdown on supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
The dead man was Mohammed Reda Mohammed Abdo, 19, a second-year engineering student, said senior health ministry official Ahmed al-Ansari and forensic authority spokesman Hisham Abdul Hamid.
The circumstances of his death were not immediately known.
Medics also said seven people were wounded.
Witnesses said police used water canon, tear gas and birdshot to disperse protesting students, who were demanding Morsi`s reinstatement.
Morsi supporters have regularly staged protests against the military since it ousted the Islamist leader on July 3 and, in recent months, have increasingly staged demonstrations in universities.
Abdo`s death is the first since interim authorities passed a disputed law requiring that organisers must give a three-day written notice before holding a demonstration.
On Tuesday, police broke up two small protests in Cairo by secular and youth movements to oppose the law, widening the authorities` crackdown which so far has targeted Islamists.
And yesterday, authorities ordered the arrests of two prominent activists who led the revolt against long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
The suppression of mainly secular youths is seen as the opening of a new front by the authorities, which justified Morsi`s ouster by saying it was responding to massive demonstrations against his rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'