Stuka bomber wreck being recovered from Baltic
Berlin: A German military museum is preparing to hoist the wreck of a Stuka dive bomber from the floor of the Baltic Sea, a rare remaining example of the plane that once wreaked havoc over Europe as part of the Nazis` war machine.
The Stuka wreck, first discovered in the 90s when a fisherman`s net snagged on it, lies about 10 kilometres off the coast of the Baltic island of Ruegen, in about 18 metres of water.
German military divers have been working for a week to prepare the main body to be hoisted to the surface, and initial reports are that it is in good condition. The motor was brought up over the weekend.
The German Military Historical Museum says it will be restored and put on display in Berlin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015