Sudan army seizes Darfur rebel bastion, kills 160: Officials
Khartoum: Officials say that clashes between
Sudan`s army and Darfur`s most powerful rebel group have left
more than 160 people dead.
Army spokesman Capt Khalid al-Sawarmi said today that
government troops killed 108 fighters from the rebel Justice
and Equality Movement in the Jebel Moon area of western Darfur
a day earlier.
Sudan`s official SUNA news agency reported that
government forces also battled JEM rebels near Nyala in south
Darfur. SUNA quotes senior police official Dr Mohamed Abdul
Magid al-Tayeb as saying 27 police and 33 rebels were killed
in those clashes.
JEM confirmed the south Darfur violence in a statement on Saturday. The rebels broke off talks with the government on a
permanent peace deal two weeks ago, accusing the military of
conducting a new Darfur offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray