Sudan army seizes Darfur rebel bastion, kills 160: Officials
Khartoum: Officials say that clashes between
Sudan`s army and Darfur`s most powerful rebel group have left
more than 160 people dead.
Army spokesman Capt Khalid al-Sawarmi said today that
government troops killed 108 fighters from the rebel Justice
and Equality Movement in the Jebel Moon area of western Darfur
a day earlier.
Sudan`s official SUNA news agency reported that
government forces also battled JEM rebels near Nyala in south
Darfur. SUNA quotes senior police official Dr Mohamed Abdul
Magid al-Tayeb as saying 27 police and 33 rebels were killed
in those clashes.
JEM confirmed the south Darfur violence in a statement on Saturday. The rebels broke off talks with the government on a
permanent peace deal two weeks ago, accusing the military of
conducting a new Darfur offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?