Sudan army seizes Darfur rebel bastion, kills 160: Officials
Khartoum: Officials say that clashes between
Sudan`s army and Darfur`s most powerful rebel group have left
more than 160 people dead.
Army spokesman Capt Khalid al-Sawarmi said today that
government troops killed 108 fighters from the rebel Justice
and Equality Movement in the Jebel Moon area of western Darfur
a day earlier.
Sudan`s official SUNA news agency reported that
government forces also battled JEM rebels near Nyala in south
Darfur. SUNA quotes senior police official Dr Mohamed Abdul
Magid al-Tayeb as saying 27 police and 33 rebels were killed
in those clashes.
JEM confirmed the south Darfur violence in a statement on Saturday. The rebels broke off talks with the government on a
permanent peace deal two weeks ago, accusing the military of
conducting a new Darfur offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown