Sudan crisis `major threat` to peace: UN`s Ban
Addis Ababa: UN chief Ban Ki-moon said Sunday
a crisis between former enemies Sudan and South Sudan has
become a major threat to regional peace and security.
"The situation in Sudan and South Sudan has reached a
critical point, it has become a major threat to peace and
security across the region," Ban said at an African Union
summit meeting in the Ethiopian capital.
South Sudan split from Khartoum in July after decades of
war, but key issues remain unresolved, including a furious row
over pipeline transit fees to transport the South`s oil to
port in the rump state of Sudan.
In addition, tensions have been raised by their still
undemarcated border -- cutting through oil fields -- as well
as allegations by each side that the other backs proxy rebel
forces against the other.
"The international community needs to act, and it needs
to act now," Ban added. "As long as these issues remain
unresolved, tensions will only grow."
Asked by reporters if he feared war could break out
again, Ban replied: "That is also a great concern for me as
Secretary General. That is why I`m meeting as many African
leaders as possible."
South Sudan has also demanded the handover of the
contested border region of Abyei, claimed by both sides, but
which the northern army has controlled since storming the
region last year, after a planned referendum there was
Ban accused both Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and
South Sudanese President Salva Kiir of "a lack of political
However, in rare singling out, the UN chief specifically
urged Bashir to cooperate in resolving the crisis.
"I urge him (Bashir) again to fully cooperate with the
United Nations," Ban said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video