Sudan President Omar al-Bashir arrives in South Sudan for talks
Juba: Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir arrived in the South Sudanese capital Juba on Monday for a day of talks on the country`s three-week-old unrest, an AFP correspondent said.
Bashir was greeted at Juba airport by South Sudan`s Vice President James Wani Igga, before heading to the presidential palace for talks with his counterpart President Salva Kiir.
Bashir made no public comment upon arriving, although Khartoum on Sunday reaffirmed Sudan`s wish to see "a continuation of the political process aimed at finding a peaceful resolution to the conflict in South Sudan".
Sudan`s foreign ministry also underlined Sudan`s willingness "to offer everything in its power to ensure success of the initiative by IGAD", the East African regional bloc brokering the talks.
The conflict erupted on December 15, pitting army units loyal to President Kiir against a loose alliance of ethnic militia forces and mutinous army commanders nominally headed by Riek Machar, a former vice president who was sacked in July.
South Sudan won independence from Khartoum in 2011 after decades of war, but is dependent on Sudan for exporting its oil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery