Sudan President Omar al-Bashir arrives in South Sudan for talks
Juba: Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir arrived in the South Sudanese capital Juba on Monday for a day of talks on the country`s three-week-old unrest, an AFP correspondent said.
Bashir was greeted at Juba airport by South Sudan`s Vice President James Wani Igga, before heading to the presidential palace for talks with his counterpart President Salva Kiir.
Bashir made no public comment upon arriving, although Khartoum on Sunday reaffirmed Sudan`s wish to see "a continuation of the political process aimed at finding a peaceful resolution to the conflict in South Sudan".
Sudan`s foreign ministry also underlined Sudan`s willingness "to offer everything in its power to ensure success of the initiative by IGAD", the East African regional bloc brokering the talks.
The conflict erupted on December 15, pitting army units loyal to President Kiir against a loose alliance of ethnic militia forces and mutinous army commanders nominally headed by Riek Machar, a former vice president who was sacked in July.
South Sudan won independence from Khartoum in 2011 after decades of war, but is dependent on Sudan for exporting its oil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!