Sudan says troops kill hundreds of Darfur rebels
Khartoum (Sudan): The Sudanese army said it
inflicted a series of defeats on Darfur`s most powerful rebel
group, killing and capturing hundreds in a series of clashes
over the past few days.
General Al-Tayeb al-Musbah Osman, the commander of the
western region, told the state news agency that the army
killed at least 300 members of the rebel Justice and Equality
Movement and captured another 86, destroying dozens of their
He added in yesterday`s report that 75 Sudanese soldiers
lost their lives in fighting across five areas of the north.
For its part, JEM said it had clashed with government
forces, but maintained it had defeated them.
The joint UN-African Union peacekeeping force in the
area confirmed fighting took place but provided no casualty
The conflict began in Darfur with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The UN estimates that some 300,000 people
have died as a result of violence, disease and displacement
since the fighting began.
In May, the army said it killed hundreds of JEM fighters
in clashes across Darfur, following the collapse of peace
talks between rebels and the government.
The government signed a cease-fire with JEM, the most
effective of the many rebel groups in Darfur, raising hopes
that some measure of peace might come to the vast, war-ravaged
region where some 2.6 million people have been displaced by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow