Sudan says troops kill hundreds of Darfur rebels
Khartoum (Sudan): The Sudanese army said it
inflicted a series of defeats on Darfur`s most powerful rebel
group, killing and capturing hundreds in a series of clashes
over the past few days.
General Al-Tayeb al-Musbah Osman, the commander of the
western region, told the state news agency that the army
killed at least 300 members of the rebel Justice and Equality
Movement and captured another 86, destroying dozens of their
He added in yesterday`s report that 75 Sudanese soldiers
lost their lives in fighting across five areas of the north.
For its part, JEM said it had clashed with government
forces, but maintained it had defeated them.
The joint UN-African Union peacekeeping force in the
area confirmed fighting took place but provided no casualty
The conflict began in Darfur with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The UN estimates that some 300,000 people
have died as a result of violence, disease and displacement
since the fighting began.
In May, the army said it killed hundreds of JEM fighters
in clashes across Darfur, following the collapse of peace
talks between rebels and the government.
The government signed a cease-fire with JEM, the most
effective of the many rebel groups in Darfur, raising hopes
that some measure of peace might come to the vast, war-ravaged
region where some 2.6 million people have been displaced by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam