Sudan seizes rebel stronghold in border state
Khartoum: Sudanese armed forces seized the rebel stronghold of Kurmuk in Blue Nile state, both sides said on Thursday, after two months of heavy fighting in the state on the border with newly independent South Sudan.
"Our troops entered the town of Kurmuk, expelled the insurgents and killed and wounded many (of them) and they are now cleansing the town," Sudan`s Defence Ministry website said.
Violence in Sudanese border states has soured talks between Khartoum and former civil war foe South Sudan who have yet to resolve issues such as how to share oil revenues or other assets after South Sudan seceded as part of a 2005 peace deal.
A spokesman for SPLM-North in Blue Nile said rebels had withdrawn from Kurmuk, where its leader Malik Agar was believed to be hiding, but that the rebels would fight on.
"The SPLM troops have withdrawn from Kurmuk for strategic reasons. The Sudanese Army controls Kurmuk but this is not the end of the war in Blue Nile," said spokesman Sulaiman Othman.
Blue Nile and South Kordofan are north of the new border and remain part of Sudan, but are home to many who sided with the south during one of Africa`s longest and deadliest civil wars.
Both sides have also failed to find a solution for the disputed border region of Abyei which Khartoum seized in May.
Rebels in border states say they have been politically and economically marginalised by Sudan`s government. Khartoum accuses the insurgents of trying to spread chaos and says it will not tolerate armed militias on its side of the border.
Fighting between the Sudanese Army and SPLM-North rebels erupted in Blue Nile in September, spreading from neighbouring northern state South Kordofan where violence began in June.
Khartoum accuses South Sudan of backing the rebels in both states. Juba has denied the charges.
Border violence has also badly affected ties between Sudan and Western powers. US President Barack Obama extended trade sanctions this week that have been in place since 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi