Sudanese death row Christian woman arrives in Italy
Rome/Khartoum: A Sudanese woman who was spared a death sentence for converting from Islam to Christianity and then barred from leaving Sudan flew into Rome on Thursday on an Italian government plane, officials said.
Mariam Yahya Ibrahim, whose sentence and detention triggered international outrage, arrived at Rome`s Ciampino airport with her family and Italy`s vice minister for foreign affairs, Lapo Pistelli, television pictures showed.
There were no details on what led up to the 27-year-old`s departure from Khartoum, and there was no immediate comment from the Sudanese authorities.
Ibrahim was sentenced to death by a Sudanese court in May on charges of converting from Islam to Christianity and marrying a Christian South Sudanese-American.
The conviction was quashed last month, but Sudan`s government accused her of trying to leave the country with falsified papers, preventing her departure for the United States with her American-South Sudanese husband and two children.
Her lawyer Mohaned Mostafa said he had not been told of her departure.
“I don`t know anything about such news but so far the complaint that was filed against Mariam and which prevents her from travelling from Sudan has not been cancelled," Mostafa told Reuters.
Ibrahim says she was born and raised as a Christian by an Ethiopian family in Sudan and later abducted by a Sudanese Muslim family.
The Muslim family denies that and filed a lawsuit to have her marriage annulled last week in a new attempt to stop her leaving the country. That case was later dropped.
Prime Minister Renzi mentioned Ibrahim`s case in his speech to inaugurate Italy`s six-month European Union presidency earlier this month.
"If there is no European reaction we cannot feel worthy to call ourselves `Europe`," Renzi said.
Muslim women are not permitted to marry Christian men under the brand of Islamic law enforced in Sudan.
Ibrahim, her husband and children had been staying at the US Embassy in Khartoum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi