Sudanese Prez to attend Arab summit in Baghdad
Baghdad: Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, wanted by the International Criminal Court for war
crimes, will attend this week`s Arab summit in Baghdad, Iraqi
President Jalal Talabani`s office said.
"President al-Bashir told President Talabani that he
will head his country`s delegation to attend the next Arab
summit in Baghdad this week," the presidency`s website said
after a phone call between the two leaders.
Iraq is not a signatory to the ICC`s founding Rome
Statute, according to a copy of the treaty posted on the UN`s
The foreign ministry has said on its website that "the
protection of President al-Bashir is guaranteed one hundred
percent," adding that the same goes for all summit attendees.
The Arab summit is due to be held in Baghdad from
Tuesday to Thursday.
It is the first time that the Iraqi capital has hosted
a meeting of the 22-member Arab League since now-executed
dictator Saddam Hussein`s 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
The Hague-based ICC issued an arrest warrant for
Bashir in 2009 for alleged crimes against humanity and war
crimes committed in Darfur. A later warrant added genocide to
the charges. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Exercise maximum possible restraint while dealing with mob: Army Chief to security forces
- Anti-pollution campaign bags global environment award
- Duleep Trophy: Floodlight malfunction grabs more attention than Pink ball
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place