Sudan`s army kill Darfur rebel leader: State media
Khartoum: Sudan`s army killed a key
rebel leader from the Darfur region on Sunday, state media
reported, three days after anti-government forces said they
had begun advancing on the capital Khartoum.
"The Sudanese army announces that they killed Khalil
Ibrahim in fighting today in west Wadbanda, North Kordofan,"
the official Sudan News Agency (SUNA) said.
Ibrahim headed the Justice and Equality Movement, the
most heavily armed group in the Darfur region.
The report of his death could not be independently
Today SUNA, quoting army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad,
said the military was combing the North Kordofan-North Darfur
border area after JEM "attacked civilians" and targeted local
leaders while looting their property in the Umm-Gozain, Goz
Abyadh and Aramal areas.
Saad gave no casualty figures.
The JEM announced on Thursday through its London-based
spokesman that its forces were advancing from Darfur eastward
On the official Sudan TV channel, Saad said today that
government forces "clashed directly" with Ibrahim`s troops,
killing him and "a group of his leaders" as Ibrahim was on his
way to South Sudan.
The South became independent in July following an
overwhelming vote to separate after a two-decade civil war.
Sudanese troops have been battling rebels on the poorly
defined southern border, with each country accusing the other
of supporting rebels within their territories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan