Sudan`s Bashir forms new government
Khartoum: Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Monday formed a 35-member government two months after multi-party elections, according to an official decree distributed to the media.
Bashir handed the key Foreign Ministry to Ali Karti from his ruling National Congress Party while the strategic Oil Ministry went to Luwal Ashweil Deng, from the ex-rebel South Sudan People`s Liberation Movement.
The SPLM held the Foreign Ministry in the previous government which Bashir dissolved at the end of May following his re-election victory in April during which his party retained a majority of seats in Parliament.
"President Omar Hassan al-Beshir has announced in a statement the nomination of ministers and ministers of state," said the decree.
According to the text of the decree, the new government will have 35 cabinet ministers, compared to 31 in the previous line-up, as well as 42 ministers of state.
Karti, known to be a conservative Islamist, was a minister of state for foreign affairs in a previous administration and has also served in the past as minister of state for judicial affairs.
Deng, a member of the ex-rebel SPLM, served as a minister of state for financial affairs in the previous government.
Sudan produces 5,00,000 barrels of oil per day and has reserves estimated at six billion barrels, most of it on the border between north and south and how to share the revenues has been a major source of tension in the run-up to a promised referendum on southern independence due in January.
The ex-rebel SPLM joined the government after signing with the Khartoum government in 2005 a peace deal that ended a devastating civil war that lasted more than two decades.
Bashir, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes in Darfur, was sworn in last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you