Sudan`s Bashir pledges no return to war
Khartoum: Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir vowed on Wednesday that there will be no return to civil war with the south as an independence vote for the region looms.
Just a week after saying that the only outcome he would accept from the landmark referendum due in January was a vote for unity, Bashir insisted his government was working for peace.
"There will be no return to war," the official news agency quoted Bashir as saying. "The government is working to keep the peace.
"The referendum result will not be the end of the world," he added.
The January referendum on independence for the south is the centrepiece of a 2005 peace deal which brought an end to Africa`s longest-running civil war in which an estimated two million people died.
"Despite our commitment to the Comprehensive Peace Agreement, we will not accept an alternative to unity," Bashir had told MPs in Khartoum on October 12.
On Tuesday, Defence Minister Abdel Rahim Mohammed Hussein hinted that the referendum could be delayed in the face of persistent wrangling between northern and southern leaders about the demarcation line between the two regions.
Southern leaders have warned that if there is any major delay by the Khartoum government in organising the referendum, they will go ahead and hold a vote of their own.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO