Suicide attacker kills 7 at Baghdad checkpoint
Baghdad: A suicide bomber set off a car bomb Monday at a checkpoint leading to the Iraqi Interior Ministry, killing seven people and injuring 32 others, officials said.
The attack followed a series of bombings last week that killed up to 70 people in a single day, increasing fears about Iraq`s future after US troops withdrew this month.
Two police officers said the bomber struck during morning rush hour, hitting one of many security barriers set up around the ministry`s building. Five policemen were among the dead, they said.
Two doctors at nearby hospitals confirmed the causality figures. All spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release information.
No one has claimed responsibility, but suicide attacks are the hallmark of the al Qaeda in Iraq terror group.
US and some Iraqi officials have warned of a resurgence of Sunni and Shiite militants and an increase in violence after the full US troop withdrawal.
Adding to Iraq`s troubles is an increase in political tension stemming from a showdown between the Shiite prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, and the top Sunni political leader in the country.
Al-Maliki`s government has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi on charges that he ran hit squads against government officials.
Al-Hashemi has denied the charges and said they are politically motivated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read