Suicide attacks in Chechnya kill 5
Grozny: Suicide bombers on bicycles detonated
explosives in Chechnya today, killing at least four police
officers and a civilian in coordinated attacks in the capital,
The suicide bombers approached police officers in two
central locations in Grozny and blew themselves up, killing
two officers in each attack, said Chechnya`s Interior Minister
Ruslan Alkhanov in televised remarks.
Russian emergency services spokesman Alexei Zemskov said
three other people were wounded. An Associated Press reporter
saw body parts scattered at the sites of both attacks, which
come at the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Today`s violence followed Monday`s suicide bombing of a
police station in neighboring Ingushetia that killed 25 people
and injured more than 160 in the deadliest attack in the
volatile North Caucasus region in years.
A Chechen rebel group calling itself the Riyadus Salikhin
Martyrs` Brigade claimed responsibility for the attack in
Nazran in a statement posted today on a Web site sympathetic
to Chechen rebels. The claim could not be independently
confirmed, but officials also said the attack had been mounted
by militants seeking to avenge recent security raids.
Russian news reports initially said there were several
other explosions in Grozny today, but officials said there
were only two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!