Suicide attacks in Chechnya kill 5
Grozny: Suicide bombers on bicycles detonated
explosives in Chechnya today, killing at least four police
officers and a civilian in coordinated attacks in the capital,
The suicide bombers approached police officers in two
central locations in Grozny and blew themselves up, killing
two officers in each attack, said Chechnya`s Interior Minister
Ruslan Alkhanov in televised remarks.
Russian emergency services spokesman Alexei Zemskov said
three other people were wounded. An Associated Press reporter
saw body parts scattered at the sites of both attacks, which
come at the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Today`s violence followed Monday`s suicide bombing of a
police station in neighboring Ingushetia that killed 25 people
and injured more than 160 in the deadliest attack in the
volatile North Caucasus region in years.
A Chechen rebel group calling itself the Riyadus Salikhin
Martyrs` Brigade claimed responsibility for the attack in
Nazran in a statement posted today on a Web site sympathetic
to Chechen rebels. The claim could not be independently
confirmed, but officials also said the attack had been mounted
by militants seeking to avenge recent security raids.
Russian news reports initially said there were several
other explosions in Grozny today, but officials said there
were only two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!