Suicide bomber hits Indonesian mosque, wounds 28
Jakarta: A suicide bomber blew himself up in an Indonesian mosque on Friday, wounding 28 people in militants` first attack against a mosque in the predominantly Muslim country, officials said.
The bombing occurred during prayers inside a police compound in the West Java town of Cirebon, and many of the victims were officers.
They were rushed to hospitals with wounds to their arms, legs and torsos, said Yeni Rahmawati, a hospital spokeswoman.
Indonesia, a secular, predominantly Muslim nation of 237 million, has been hit by a string of al Qaeda-linked terrorist attacks since the 2002 bombings on two crowded Bali nightclubs.
Many of the 260 people killed in those attacks have been foreign tourists.
In the last year, however, militants seeking to carve out an Islamic state have said the country`s moderate leaders and security forces would be their main targets. They`ve attacked several police posts since then, but never a mosque.
West Java police chief, Major General Suparni Parto, told El-Shinta radio the mangled body of the suicide bomber was found at the scene.
The man was apparently wearing a suicide vest beneath his black Islamic robes and sitting among dozens of worshippers when he set off the bomb, said Agus Riyanto, a police spokesman. The bomber shouted "God is Great" as he detonated his device, authorities said.
Though militants in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq have not hesitated to attack mosques where their enemies have gathered, this represents a first for Indonesia.
"It`s really worrisome," said Mardigu Wawiek Prasantyo, an intelligence analyst, noting that the bombing during Friday holy prayers points to a "hardening of militants”.
Most of Indonesia`s 210 million Muslims are moderates with no tolerance of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery