Suicide bomber kills at least 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: A suicide bomber slammed a car packed with explosives into one of the gates of Baghdad`s heavily guarded Green Zone on Monday, killing seven people, including three security officers, Iraqi officials said.
The bombing took place during the morning rush hour near the bridge over the Tigris River connecting the Karradah district and the Green Zone, where most government offices, the parliament and several embassies and foreign missions in Iraqi capital are located.
The blast set several cars ablaze, officials said. A hospital official said that 26 people, including eight security officers, were wounded in the explosion.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Violence has ebbed significantly, but insurgents continue to stage high-profile bombings and shooting attacks.
More than a week ago, insurgents launched a string of attacks across the country, killing 92 people in one of Iraq`s deadliest days this year.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attacks, and promised "black days ahead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test