Suicide bomber kills at least 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: A suicide bomber slammed a car packed with explosives into one of the gates of Baghdad`s heavily guarded Green Zone on Monday, killing seven people, including three security officers, Iraqi officials said.
The bombing took place during the morning rush hour near the bridge over the Tigris River connecting the Karradah district and the Green Zone, where most government offices, the parliament and several embassies and foreign missions in Iraqi capital are located.
The blast set several cars ablaze, officials said. A hospital official said that 26 people, including eight security officers, were wounded in the explosion.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Violence has ebbed significantly, but insurgents continue to stage high-profile bombings and shooting attacks.
More than a week ago, insurgents launched a string of attacks across the country, killing 92 people in one of Iraq`s deadliest days this year.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attacks, and promised "black days ahead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter