Suicide bomber kills at least 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: A suicide bomber slammed a car packed with explosives into one of the gates of Baghdad`s heavily guarded Green Zone on Monday, killing seven people, including three security officers, Iraqi officials said.
The bombing took place during the morning rush hour near the bridge over the Tigris River connecting the Karradah district and the Green Zone, where most government offices, the parliament and several embassies and foreign missions in Iraqi capital are located.
The blast set several cars ablaze, officials said. A hospital official said that 26 people, including eight security officers, were wounded in the explosion.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Violence has ebbed significantly, but insurgents continue to stage high-profile bombings and shooting attacks.
More than a week ago, insurgents launched a string of attacks across the country, killing 92 people in one of Iraq`s deadliest days this year.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attacks, and promised "black days ahead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof