Suicide bomber kills at least 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: A suicide bomber slammed a car packed with explosives into one of the gates of Baghdad`s heavily guarded Green Zone on Monday, killing seven people, including three security officers, Iraqi officials said.
The bombing took place during the morning rush hour near the bridge over the Tigris River connecting the Karradah district and the Green Zone, where most government offices, the parliament and several embassies and foreign missions in Iraqi capital are located.
The blast set several cars ablaze, officials said. A hospital official said that 26 people, including eight security officers, were wounded in the explosion.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Violence has ebbed significantly, but insurgents continue to stage high-profile bombings and shooting attacks.
More than a week ago, insurgents launched a string of attacks across the country, killing 92 people in one of Iraq`s deadliest days this year.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attacks, and promised "black days ahead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack