Suicide bomber kills two in eastern Turkey
Ankara: A woman blew herself up and killed
two other people on Saturday near a ruling party building in the
eastern Turkish town of Bingol, the local governor said.
The attack, the first of its kind in a year, took place
near the provinvial headquarters of the Islamist-rooted
Justice and Development Party (AKP), Mustafa Hakan Guvencer
Several people were also wounded in the attack, which came
as eastern Turkey was winding up rescue efforts a week after a
devastating earthquake and two days after the end of punishing
military raid against Kurdish separatists.
The Kurdish Workers` Party (PKK), whose decades-old
struggle against the central government escalated in recent
weeks, has carried out such attacks in the past but there was
no immediate claim for Saturday`s suicide blast.
Interior Minister Idris Naim Sahin, quoted by the Anatolia
news agency, had earlier reported a toll of 10 wounded and
stressed that the local AKP office was not specifically
"It happened near the provincial headquarters but it
wasn`t directly targeted," he said.
The last such attack took place in November 2010 in
Istanbul, where a bomber blew himself up on the central Taksim
square, wounding 32 people.
The attack in Bingol comes two days after the Turkish
military wrapped up a week-long air and land operation against
the PKK in south-eastern Turkey and across the Iraqi border.
The sweeping operation came after a series of PKK attacks
against government forces caused the Turkish army`s biggest
loss in almost two decades.
The PKK, listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and
much of the international community, took up arms for Kurdish
independence in southeastern Turkey in 1984, sparking a
conflict that has claimed some 45,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened