Suicide bomber kills two in eastern Turkey
Ankara: A woman blew herself up and killed
two other people on Saturday near a ruling party building in the
eastern Turkish town of Bingol, the local governor said.
The attack, the first of its kind in a year, took place
near the provinvial headquarters of the Islamist-rooted
Justice and Development Party (AKP), Mustafa Hakan Guvencer
Several people were also wounded in the attack, which came
as eastern Turkey was winding up rescue efforts a week after a
devastating earthquake and two days after the end of punishing
military raid against Kurdish separatists.
The Kurdish Workers` Party (PKK), whose decades-old
struggle against the central government escalated in recent
weeks, has carried out such attacks in the past but there was
no immediate claim for Saturday`s suicide blast.
Interior Minister Idris Naim Sahin, quoted by the Anatolia
news agency, had earlier reported a toll of 10 wounded and
stressed that the local AKP office was not specifically
"It happened near the provincial headquarters but it
wasn`t directly targeted," he said.
The last such attack took place in November 2010 in
Istanbul, where a bomber blew himself up on the central Taksim
square, wounding 32 people.
The attack in Bingol comes two days after the Turkish
military wrapped up a week-long air and land operation against
the PKK in south-eastern Turkey and across the Iraqi border.
The sweeping operation came after a series of PKK attacks
against government forces caused the Turkish army`s biggest
loss in almost two decades.
The PKK, listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and
much of the international community, took up arms for Kurdish
independence in southeastern Turkey in 1984, sparking a
conflict that has claimed some 45,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?