Suicide bombers attack UN office in Afghan city of Heart
Heart: Three suicide bombers wearing
police uniforms and burqas today attacked the United Nations
office in the western Afghan city of Herat, senior police and
UN officials said.
There were no casualties among UN workers, Delawar Shah
Delawar, deputy police chief of Herat province, told a news agency after the raid, which was claimed by the Taliban.
"One of the suicide attackers drove his explosives-packed
vehicle into the rear gate of the compound. The two other
attackers tried to enter the building after the blast but they
were killed by guards and policemen," he said.
"At this stage we are searching the compound to make sure
there are no attackers hiding inside the building," he said,
"The attack did not cause any casualties to security
forces or UN workers."
UN officials in Kabul and Herat confirmed the attack and
that there were no deaths or injuries among UN staff, who had
taken refuge in a safe bunker.
The United Nations has been seen as a specific target of
the Taliban since last October, when a Kabul guesthouse was
attacked and 12 people, including six UN employees, were
The latest attack began at 12:30 pm, a news agency reporter on
the scene said, adding that explosions and small arms fire was
heard from inside the compound, which is about eight
kilometres from Herat city centre.
The remains of the vehicle lay by the destroyed gate,
with body parts possibly those of the attackers strewn
around it, the reporter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp