Suicide bombers hit police compound in Iraq`s Mosul
Iraq: Two suicide bombers attacked a police battalion in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Wednesday and killed the commander, police sources said.
The sources said two attackers, wearing explosive vests, detonated their vests in the room of Lieutenant Colonel Shamil Ahmed, who headed the battalion in Mosul`s western area of Bab Sinjar.
A third suicide bomber was killed by police before he was able to enter the main building.
"Lieutenant Colonel Shamil (Ahmed) was known to be active in pursuing al Qaeda members in Mosul and for this reason he was targeted," a police source in Mosul told Reuters.
"Two suicide (bombers) managed to blow themselves up inside his room and his (the commander`s) body is still under debris."
The source, who said there was no immediate word on other casualties, said Ahmed had escaped an attempt on his life last year.
The northern city of Mosul, about 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, is considered the last urban stronghold of the al Qaeda militant Islamist group.
Although overall violence in Iraq has dropped sharply since the height of sectarian warfare in 2006-7, bombings and attacks are still a daily occurrence.
On Monday, twin suicide bombings rocked a government compound in the western city of Ramadi, killing 17 people and wounding dozens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film