Suicide car bomb kills 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a suicide car bomb in a Shiite neighbourhood in northern Baghdad has killed seven people and wounded 18.
Two police officers say the attacker rammed his explosives-laden car into an army checkpoint today morning in the busy Kazimiyah neighbourhood, killing five soldiers and two civilian bystanders. They said 18 other people, including six civilians, were wounded.
A medical official in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figure.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release information.
Two revered Shiite saints are buried in Kazimiyah, making it one of the country`s main pilgrimage destinations for Shiites and an important commercial hub in the capital.
Violence has spiked in Iraq in recent weeks, raising fears of a return to widespread sectarian bloodshed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket