Suicide car bomb kills 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a suicide car bomb in a Shiite neighbourhood in northern Baghdad has killed seven people and wounded 18.
Two police officers say the attacker rammed his explosives-laden car into an army checkpoint today morning in the busy Kazimiyah neighbourhood, killing five soldiers and two civilian bystanders. They said 18 other people, including six civilians, were wounded.
A medical official in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figure.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release information.
Two revered Shiite saints are buried in Kazimiyah, making it one of the country`s main pilgrimage destinations for Shiites and an important commercial hub in the capital.
Violence has spiked in Iraq in recent weeks, raising fears of a return to widespread sectarian bloodshed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Religious tensions bristle in Myanmar village after mosque destroyed
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand