Suicide car bomb kills 7 in Baghdad
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a suicide car bomb in a Shiite neighbourhood in northern Baghdad has killed seven people and wounded 18.
Two police officers say the attacker rammed his explosives-laden car into an army checkpoint today morning in the busy Kazimiyah neighbourhood, killing five soldiers and two civilian bystanders. They said 18 other people, including six civilians, were wounded.
A medical official in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figure.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release information.
Two revered Shiite saints are buried in Kazimiyah, making it one of the country`s main pilgrimage destinations for Shiites and an important commercial hub in the capital.
Violence has spiked in Iraq in recent weeks, raising fears of a return to widespread sectarian bloodshed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says