Suicide car bomber kills two police in Russian Caucasus
Moscow: A suicide bomber blew up an
explosives-filled car at a checkpost in Russia`s restive North
Caucasus region of Dagestan on Thursday, killing two Russian police,
The attacker struck the checkpoint in the Kazbekovsky
district, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) west of Dagestan`s
capital of Makhachkala, at around 1600 GMT, the investigative
committee of prosecutors said in a statement.
"Driving near a police post the suicide bomber activated
an explosive device attached to the Lada Prioria model
vehicle. As a result, two policemen were killed while another
seven people were wounded," it said.
The blast comes just weeks after 12 people were killed
in a double suicide attack in Dagestan, on the heels of
coordinated suicide bombings on the Moscow metro that claimed
the lives of 39 people.
Russian authorities are struggling to quash a Muslim
insurgency in the country`s volatile North Caucasus region,
which includes Dagestan, Ingushetia and Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list