Suicide car bomber kills two police in Russian Caucasus
Moscow: A suicide bomber blew up an
explosives-filled car at a checkpost in Russia`s restive North
Caucasus region of Dagestan on Thursday, killing two Russian police,
The attacker struck the checkpoint in the Kazbekovsky
district, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) west of Dagestan`s
capital of Makhachkala, at around 1600 GMT, the investigative
committee of prosecutors said in a statement.
"Driving near a police post the suicide bomber activated
an explosive device attached to the Lada Prioria model
vehicle. As a result, two policemen were killed while another
seven people were wounded," it said.
The blast comes just weeks after 12 people were killed
in a double suicide attack in Dagestan, on the heels of
coordinated suicide bombings on the Moscow metro that claimed
the lives of 39 people.
Russian authorities are struggling to quash a Muslim
insurgency in the country`s volatile North Caucasus region,
which includes Dagestan, Ingushetia and Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit