Suicide car bombing kills 15 in Nigerian church
Abuja: At least 15 people were killed and 85 others injured when a suicide car bomber rammed his explosive laden vehicle into a Catholic church holding Mass in a northern Nigerian city on Sunday.
The bomber approached the gate of St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area in a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) and tried to drive in but was denied access, local Leadership newspaper reported quoting its sources.
He then reversed the car and used the back to ram against the gate which caved in as a loud explosion followed, the report said.
The spokesman of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Yushua Shuaib, who confirmed the incident said that he wouldn`t give any figure on casualties but added that police and soldiers have surrounded the church.
But the newspaper said at least 15 people were killed and 85 others injured in the attack.
A witness told a news agency that the explosion occurred while service was going on.
He said the bomber was killed and that the officiating priest was suspected to be among the injured or dead.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, but such attacks are often blamed on the Boko Haram militant group, which has threatened to install Islamic government in the oil-rich African country.
In June, Boko Haram attacked three churches in Kaduna. At least 50 people were killed in the bombings and the reprisals that followed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly