Suicide car bombing kills 15 in Nigerian church
Abuja: At least 15 people were killed and 85 others injured when a suicide car bomber rammed his explosive laden vehicle into a Catholic church holding Mass in a northern Nigerian city on Sunday.
The bomber approached the gate of St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area in a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) and tried to drive in but was denied access, local Leadership newspaper reported quoting its sources.
He then reversed the car and used the back to ram against the gate which caved in as a loud explosion followed, the report said.
The spokesman of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Yushua Shuaib, who confirmed the incident said that he wouldn`t give any figure on casualties but added that police and soldiers have surrounded the church.
But the newspaper said at least 15 people were killed and 85 others injured in the attack.
A witness told a news agency that the explosion occurred while service was going on.
He said the bomber was killed and that the officiating priest was suspected to be among the injured or dead.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, but such attacks are often blamed on the Boko Haram militant group, which has threatened to install Islamic government in the oil-rich African country.
In June, Boko Haram attacked three churches in Kaduna. At least 50 people were killed in the bombings and the reprisals that followed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared