Suicides in US military at 10-year high
Washington: Suicide cases are on the rise in the US military, according to statistics.
According to Pentagon statistics, in the first 155 days of 2012, there were 154 suicides among active troops, around 50 percent more than the number killed in action in Afghanistan.
Experts have said that the numbers reflect the burden of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, The Guardian reports.
The military is also struggling with increased sexual assaults, alcohol abuse, domestic violence and other problems. Studies have pointed to combat exposure, post-traumatic stress, misuse of prescription drugs and personal financial problems as possible reasons for the increase in suicide cases.
Army data suggest that soldiers with multiple combat tours are at greater risk of killing themselves, although a substantial proportion of the deaths are among soldiers who have never been deployed. The total of 154 suicides reported so far this year compares to 130 in the same period last year, an 18 percent increase.
Jackie Garrick, head of the newly established Defence Suicide Prevention Office at the Pentagon, said the increase in suicides was worrying, adding that the weak economy could also be to blame.
Dr Stephen Xenakis, a retired brigadier general and psychiatrist, said the suicides reflected the level of tension as the US gradually leaves Afghanistan.
"It`s a sign of the stress the Army has been under over the 10 years of war," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’