Sukhoi Superjet conducts first passenger flight
Moscow: Armenian airline Armavia on Thursday completed the first passenger flight of Russia`s newest commercial plane, the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
The plane, which was carrying 90 passengers, landed at Moscow`s Sheremetevo Airport at 4.45 am. The aircraft was delivered to Armavia at a ceremony in Armenia on Wednesday.
"The delivery of the first production aircraft is the key milestone of the Sukhoi Superjet 100 Project," said Mikhail Pogosyan, president of Russia`s United Aircraft Corporation and general director of Sukhoi.
"The event opens a new stage of the programme - the beginning of commercial operation and full-scale serial production."
The Superjet 100 is a family of medium-haul passenger aircraft developed by Sukhoi in cooperation with US and European aviation corporations, including Boeing, Snecma, Thales, Messier Dowty, Liebherr Aerospace and Honeywell.
The aircraft is capable of carrying 75-95 passengers up to 4,500 km.
Armavia plans to use the aircraft to conduct flights to Moscow, St Petersburg, Sochi and Ukraine.
Currently, there are 17 models in production at different stages of completion.
The company plans to manufacture at least 14 Superjet 100s this year, and 25 in 2012, and intends to sell 35 percent of them to the US, 25 percent to Europe, 10 percent to Latin America, and seven percent to Russia and China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery