Sukhoi Superjet conducts first passenger flight
Moscow: Armenian airline Armavia on Thursday completed the first passenger flight of Russia`s newest commercial plane, the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
The plane, which was carrying 90 passengers, landed at Moscow`s Sheremetevo Airport at 4.45 am. The aircraft was delivered to Armavia at a ceremony in Armenia on Wednesday.
"The delivery of the first production aircraft is the key milestone of the Sukhoi Superjet 100 Project," said Mikhail Pogosyan, president of Russia`s United Aircraft Corporation and general director of Sukhoi.
"The event opens a new stage of the programme - the beginning of commercial operation and full-scale serial production."
The Superjet 100 is a family of medium-haul passenger aircraft developed by Sukhoi in cooperation with US and European aviation corporations, including Boeing, Snecma, Thales, Messier Dowty, Liebherr Aerospace and Honeywell.
The aircraft is capable of carrying 75-95 passengers up to 4,500 km.
Armavia plans to use the aircraft to conduct flights to Moscow, St Petersburg, Sochi and Ukraine.
Currently, there are 17 models in production at different stages of completion.
The company plans to manufacture at least 14 Superjet 100s this year, and 25 in 2012, and intends to sell 35 percent of them to the US, 25 percent to Europe, 10 percent to Latin America, and seven percent to Russia and China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death