Sukhoi T-50 completes first long-range flight
Moscow: Russia`s prototype fifth-generation Sukhoi T-50 fighter jet has carried out its first long-range flight.
The flight was carried out during the transfer from a manufacturing plant in the far east to an assigned airfield near Moscow, deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.
"It is a serious breakthrough! The plane flew 7,000 km, making two landings, in Abakan and Chelyabinsk, on the way to the Russian capital," Rogozin, who oversees the Defence Industry, wrote on Twitter.
The plane joined three other T-50 prototype models at the Zhukovsky airfield prior to state flight tests, which are scheduled to start in March 2013.
The fifth prototype aircraft is being built at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur factory in Siberia.
The T-50, also known as project PAK-FA, first flew in January 2010 and was presented to the public at the Moscow Air Show in 2011.
The Defence Ministry is planning to finish the state flight tests of eight prototypes by 2015, so that they could go into standard production in 2016.
The T-50, which will be the core of Russia`s future fighter fleet, is a fifth-generation multirole fighter aircraft featuring elements of stealth technology, super-maneuverability, super-cruise capability (supersonic flight without use of afterburner), and an advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- WATCH: What a grab! Eng vs SL - Danushka Gunathilaka pulls off unreal catch
- Indian money in Swiss banks drops by one-third to Rs 8,392 crore
- 'Kriti' makers to file defamation suit against Nepali filmmaker
- 'Deadpool 2' to go on floors early 2017
- Islamic State men were planning to attack police station in Hyderabad after making powerful bombs: Report